Metaculus Help: Spread the word
If you like Metaculus, tell your friends! Share this question via Facebook, Twitter, or Reddit.
Number of US States mandating protective mask use before 2021:
Prior to 2020-04-01, the US Surgeon General and CDC officials discouraged people without symptoms from wearing masks to protect themselves from infection. On 2020-04-04 the CDC reconsidered their stance and now recommends the use of cloth masks in public. Since then Laredo, Texas and Los Angeles, California have municipal laws that require the use of face coverings in public.
The Director of the Chinese CDC has stated that people in the US and Europe were making a big mistake by not wearing masks. Some Chinese cities have required the use of protective masks in all public places and some large US cities had similar laws during the 1918 flu pandemic.
This question asks: How many US states will mandate wearing masks in any public space before 2021?
This question resolves to a credible source that lists all of the states that have mandated civilian use of masks. If such a source is not available, the question will resolve to a set of government statements or credible news reports that indicate state orders for civilians to wear any type of face mask outside of the home. For the purpose of this question:
- Only state-wide orders will count toward positive resolution; municipal orders won't count, even if they jointly cover the entirety of a state.
- In order to count toward positive resolution, the state-wide order must impose some sort of civil or criminal sanction for failing to wear a mask in public.
- The order must require that masks be worn in at least some public places, but it is not necessary that masks be worn in all public places.
- The order will count regardless of how long it is in place for.
- The order must be related to the COVID-19 pandemic (i.e. required respirators for activities such as asbestos abatement do not count).
This question was preceded by one covering both states and the largest cities.
- Resolution criteria "The order must be related to the COVID-19 pandemic (i.e. required respirators for activities such as asbestos abatement do not count)" added to clear up ambiguity.
Metaculus help: Predicting
Predictions are the heart of Metaculus. Predicting is how you contribute to the wisdom of the crowd, and how you earn points and build up your personal Metaculus track record.
The basics of predicting are very simple: move the slider to best match the likelihood of the outcome, and click predict. You can predict as often as you want, and you're encouraged to change your mind when new information becomes available.
The displayed score is split into current points and total points. Current points show how much your prediction is worth now, whereas total points show the combined worth of all of your predictions over the lifetime of the question. The scoring details are available on the FAQ.
Note: this question resolved before its original close time. All of your predictions came after the resolution, so you did not gain (or lose) any points for it.
Note: this question resolved before its original close time. You earned points up until the question resolution, but not afterwards.
This question is not yet open for predictions.
Metaculus help: Community Stats
Use the community stats to get a better sense of the community consensus (or lack thereof) for this question. Sometimes people have wildly different ideas about the likely outcomes, and sometimes people are in close agreement. There are even times when the community seems very certain of uncertainty, like when everyone agrees that event is only 50% likely to happen.
When you make a prediction, check the community stats to see where you land. If your prediction is an outlier, might there be something you're overlooking that others have seen? Or do you have special insight that others are lacking? Either way, it might be a good idea to join the discussion in the comments.